Translate

Monday, February 18, 2013

Letter/Key holder tutorial

When I was little my grandfather one like this in his house. He made his it was stained wood and it had roosters on it. Not girly like this little one I made but it just goes to show you how the same thing can be changed so much just by the way we decorate it., and the things people make have a part of there personality in them. He used to make all kinds of things, mostly with a country flair. I wish he was still around now, but this is kinda my little tribute to him. I miss you grandpa. Now enough of my blabbing and onto the tutorial...



Letter/Key holder


Supplies -
Mattboard (you can use basswood or wood of your choice but it needs to be 1/16")
Glue
Toothpicks
Sandpaper
Large safety pin or needle
Craft paint (stain if you are using wood and want it stained instead of painting)

Cut mattboard -
1 back piece 2" x 1"
2 side pieces 1 - 1/2" x 1/2"
3 shelf pieces 1" x 1/2"

Round all the edges on your back piece, then use your needle to make one hole at the top center and 3 holes straight across the bottom. Sand two corners (on the same side) of each of your side pieces. Sand a 45 degree angle on one side of each of your shelf pieces. Now glue your side pieces to the back (rounded side out). Once that is dry glue your side pieces angled side down starting 1/4 of inch up from the bottom, then the next two every1/2 " above the one below. Let dry. Now cut your toothpicks 1/4" at the ends (you want to use the ends because its easier to put in the holes you made). Dip the pointy end of the toothpick in the glue and push into the holes you made in the bottom of your letter holder. Do this with all 3. Glue the holes behind as well just to strengthen the hold. The hole in the top is to be able to hang it. Once this is all dry decorate, paint, stain, embellish as you would like. :) If you have any ?s just let me know. 

12 comments:

Lucille said...

Thank you, Tina, for this cute tutorial. The explanations are easy to follow and I will keep it in mind for future reference.

Maria Ireland said...

Your letter holder is lovely. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial.
Hugs Maria

Unknown said...

Thanks Lucille :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Maria :)

Cinderella Moments said...

It's super cute!
hugs♥,
Caroline

Unknown said...

Thanks for checking it out Caroline!

Pippibär said...

What a wonderful idea with this letter holder! Thanks a lot for this tutorial. I´m a miniature beginner and I´m always happy if I can learn something new! Thanks!
Hugs Melli
PS: Sorry, my English is really bad!

Unknown said...

Pippibar your English is better than most people I know even mine probably! Thanks so much for your comment. I do try to make as much as I can because I don't have the money to buy them (and I'm sure others are in that same boat) but also I like seeing if I can and I like to pass what I learn along. I hope all the directions are clear I have never really told others how I do things until recently. Also I do have a problem liking the things I do because I see everything in them that I should have done better. I am trying to get over that and I hope by doing this blog and the tutorials I can get over that. All the nice comments really do help. You will find that the world of miniature and dollhouse people are very very nice :) I'm glad that you have gotten into it.

PILAR6373 said...

Una idea genial!! muchas gracias por compartirla.
Besos.

Cinderella Moments said...

I'm just checking if the word verification is still on.

Tessa Liduina said...

Hi Tina, thank you for following my blog and I will gladly follow yours! Thank you also for this lovely tutorial, in memory of your grandfather. You made a very sweet letterholder. Greetings from Liduina.

Unknown said...

Thanks Liduina :)